Where’s my runny yolk fans at?! 9 times out of 10 I am always choosing a runny yolk over scrambled. Unless it’s an omelet, those are pretty delicious themselves! But believe it or not this was actually my first attempt at a soft poached egg. Turned out pretty well if you ask me!
Soft poached eggs look all fancy but they’re actually super easy! One big key to successful poached eggs is using fresh eggs! As eggs age the egg whites composition changes and becomes for fluid, you want to keep your egg whites together when making a poached egg!
I also added a spoonful of vinegar to help keep the egg whites together. You can also poach several eggs at once, but if you’re a rookie like, one was enough to start!
This recipe makes one poached egg but like I said can easily be double or tripled!
Ingredients: (Including avocado toast)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- English Muffin (I used Food for Life Ezekiel)
- 1/2 avocado
- Everything but the bagel seasoning
- Red Pepper Flakes
For the Poached Egg
- Heat the water. Fill the saucepan about 2/3 full with water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, bring water down to a simmer. There should still be some small bubbles coming up to the surface.
- Crack egg into a small cup. Doing this helps ease the egg into the water.
- Add vinegar to the water. Remember this step is not needed but it helps keep the egg whites together and cooks into a more compact shape.
- Add egg to the water. Make sure water is still at a simmer.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes. Time ultimately depends on how done you want your egg yolk. I preferred mine very running so I removed my egg at about 3 minutes but time can vary.
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon to remove excess water.
- Season and eat!
Rest of meal:
- Toast english muffin & add 1/2 avocado.
- Top with EBTB seasoning & red pepper flakes.
- Serve english muffin & egg on top of spinach!